Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Do I need to separate Golden Nugget Pumpkin seedlings?

I bought a Golden Nugget Pumpkin seedling the other day and was wanting to plant it. There seems to be three plants in the punnet, do I need to separate them? I was wondering because I know that with some things there is a male and a female plant and therefore you don't separate them. But since there was three as opposed to two I was slightly confused. Should have asked at the nursery.Do I need to separate Golden Nugget Pumpkin seedlings?
Lucky you - three for the price of one! Each pumpkin plant has both male and female flowers, so you can plant them separately. Water the punnet before you try to separate the plants, but if the roots are very tangled, try gently shaking the ball of soil in a shallow bucket of water and slowly pull each seedling away from the ball.Do I need to separate Golden Nugget Pumpkin seedlings?
Yes, you will need to separate them if you can or just pinch off two if they are too tangled up in the roots. Pumpkin plants get huge, with stems several inches in diameter. If you leave them together they will choke each other out and not do too well. Not sure why they planted them this way, but hopefully there is enough soil between them that you can separate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment